Gebang temple is a Hindu temple estimated to be built at 730 – 800 M. This temple faces to the East. To the right of the entrance there is a statue of Nandiswara while on the left side of the entrance there is a recess where the statue has been empty. It is estimated that in this recess previously there was a statue of Mahakala. On the west side (back) there is a recess filled with Ganesha statue that sits on a Yoni with a trunk leads north. Gebang temple not found the ladder ruins.
Gebang Temple is a rectangular building with a size of 5.25 x 5.25m with a height of 7.75m. the main building of the temple stands on the foot as high as 2 m, there is no sculpture whatsoever at the foot of the temple.
Inside the main room of the temple is Yoni but the Lingga (phallus) is gone.
Pawon temple is also known as Brajanalan temple. The name of the pawon is allegedly from the word “awu” (ash) so that the Pawon temple is suspected as a storage place for the ashes of King Indra (AD 728 – 812), the father of King Samaratungga of the Syailendra dynasty.
Pawon temple facing to the west, Above the doorstep there are Kalamakara ornaments without lower jaw.
On the front wall of the temple, to the north and south of the entrance, there is a recess containing relief depicting Kuwera (God of Wealth) in a standing position. The sculpture on the south of the door was damaged so that it was no longer visible in its original form. The sculpture in the north of the door is relatively intact, only the heads are destroyed.
On the north and south walls of the temple there is the same relief, which depicts Kinara and Kinari, a pair of human-headed birds, standing flanking Kalpataru trees that grow in a vase. Around the tree lay some money coins. In the sky were a pair of flying humans. At the top of the wall there is a pair of small windows that serve as ventilation. Between the two ventilation holes there are relief of Kumuda.
It is a Hindu temple of Shiva that was built in the early 9th century by Rakai Garung, the King of Mataram Hindu of the Syailendra dynasty.
Sambisari temple stands about 7 meters from the ground. According to estimates, the temple was buried by sand and rocks of the mountain of Merapi in 1006 AD.
Sambisari temple consists of one main temple and three temples Perwara (guardian) located in front of the main temple. Continue reading “Sambisari Temple”
Ijo means green. Ijo Temple is a Hindu temple that is estimated to be built between the 10th and 11th centuries. Ijo Temple consists of the main temple, flanking temple and perwara (guardian) temple.
Unlike other temples that usually have one kalamakara, Ijo temple doorstep has two-storied of Kalamakara. The doorstep was framed with a pair of dragons that stretched down with their heads turned against the door and mouth is gaping. There is a small parrot in the mouth of each dragon.
To reach the door which has high about 120 cm from the ground there is the staircase equipped with a Makara-shaped cheek ladder. The head of the Makara leaned down with a gaping mouth.
In the main room of the temple, there is a phallus that is supported by a creature like a turtle-headed serpent. The creature that comes from this Hindu myth symbolizes the earth buffer.
The union of the phallus and yoni symbolize the unity that is separated between Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. The phallus, which should have stuck at the Yoni is out of place.
This temple is referred to as the Barong temple because there is a Kala decoration in the recesses of the body of the temple that looks like a Barong. Barong Temple is a Hindu temple relic. Barong Temple is also called as Sari Suragedug Temple. According to the inscription Ratu Baka (856 AD) explains about a King Sri Kumbaja or Sri Kalasodbhava who built three “phallus”, namely Kirtiwasalingga, Triyarbakalingga, and Haralingga with their respective companions Dewi Sri, Dewi Suralaksmi and Dewi Mahalaksmi. Continue reading “Barong Temple”
Kalasan temple is also referred to as Kalibening Temple. According to the Kalasan inscription, this temple was built in 700 Caka (778 AD). Kalasan inscription written in Sanskrit explains that the advisors for the Syailendra prefecture suggested that Maharaja Tejapurnama Panangkarana erect a sacred Building to worship the goddess of Tara and the Building for Buddhist monks. Continue reading “Kalasan Temple”
Plaosan Temple is a Buddhist temple, estimated to be built in the early 9th century during the Rakai Pikatan era of the Hindu Mataram Kingdom.
According to the Cri Kahulunan inscription (AD 824 ), Plaosan Lor Temple was built by Queen Sri Kahulunan. Sri Kahulunan is the title of Pramordhawardani, the daughter of King Samaratungga from Syailendra dynasty. Sri Kahulunan who embraced Buddhism married to Rakai Pikatan from Sanjaya dynasty who are Hindus. Continue reading “Plaosan Temple”
King Boko temple is actually not a temple, but the ruins of the royal remains of a kingdom. For that Boko temple is also often referred to as King Baka Palace. King Boko Palace was first discovered by Dutch archaeologist, HJ De Graaf in the 17th century.
According to the Abhayagiriwihara inscription, which dates back to 714 Caka ( AD 792 ) that found around the temple site, it states that the King Baka palace was built by Rakai Panangkaran from the Buddhist Syailendra dynasty, but later taken over by Hindu Mataram kings. This led the King Boko Palace to a Hindu-Buddhist-style building.
During the reign of Rakai Walaing pu Kumbayoni, 898-908 AD, Abhayagiriwihara was renamed Karaton Walaing.
According to the Karangtengah inscription, the temple estimated to be built by the first King Syailendra dynasty in AD 824. Karangtengah inscription states that king Indra has made a sacred building in Venuvana (bamboo forest).
The Mendut temple was first discovered in 1836 by the Dutch East Indies government. In 1897-1904 the Dutch East Indies government made a restoration effort. Continue reading “Mendut Temple”
Temple Sari is estimated to be built in the 8th century by Rakai Panangkaran. constructing together with Kalasan temple. According to Kalasan’s inscription (700 saka / 787 AD) it is mentioned that the religious advisor Wangsa Syailendra suggested that Maharaja Tejapurnama Panangkarana or better known as Rakai Panangkaran, to establish Kalasan temple. namely the sacred buildings to worship the Goddess Tara and Sari temple for the monastery of Buddhist monks.
Sari temple is the only temple that storied, It is estimated 2 or 3 floors. The upper floor serves as a place to store things. While the lower floor is a place of religious ceremonies.
The entrance of the temple is guarded by a pair of Dwarapala statues holding a mace and a snake, as it is in front of Plaosan Temple.
On the outer side of the temple, wall are empty niches that were previously thought to be Buddhist statues.
On the outside wall of the temple, there are sculptural statues and other beautiful ornaments. The doors and windows are flanked by a pair of male and female statues standing in a lotus holding position. The total number of statues is 36 pieces, consisting of 8 statues on the front wall (east), 8 statues on the north side wall, 8 on the south side wall, and 12 on the west side wall (back). The size of the statues is the same as the size of the human body in general.
The walls of this temple are lined with Vajralepa (Brajalepa), a protective layer also found on the walls of Kalasan Temple.